Well, this appears to be turning into an every-other-Friday tradition, huh? Let’s talk about all the fun things happening right now:
- Nuun Ambassador. It’s no secret around here that I LOVE Nuun. I am a huge fan of the product and the people behind it, so I am very excited that I get to be a part of the Nuun family as an Ambassador again in 2014.
- I won! I *never* win contests. I consider myself one unlucky individual. BUT I entered Janae‘s Brooks winter running gear contest and low and behold, I won. There were something like 1700 entries too. When I got the email from Janae Sunday afternoon, I was happily surprised! And we all know I can use all the winter running gear to make it through the winter!
- Boots. For me? Nope. For Walter. Our vet told us that the salt on the ground is really bad for his paws and that I should stop running with him once the ice/snow arrives. OR she said I could get him something to cover his feet. He was so sad watching me leave to run without him so we thought we would give boots a try. He was hesitant at first, but once he connected wearing them to going for a run, he was game. He thinks he is a real badass in them :)
- Runners’ White Elephant. I consider myself very, very lucky to have made a great group of running friends here in Chicago. I mostly have Twitter to thank for connecting me with this fun and welcoming group of people. We celebrated Christmas with a little running themed White Elephant. Many laughs, but this group must be really nice because there was no ruthless gift stealing during the exchange.
- Christmas. I guess this one kind of goes without saying, for many reasons. BUT in particular, I am excited to have my shopping done and can’t wait until everyone opens their gifts. I am also super excited to spend a few days with Brad’s family. Tradition is that we all go to church on Christmas Eve and Santa comes while we are gone. We have a blast opening gifts with the kids (five of them, ages 2 – 8), then once they go to bed, we have dinner, drink wine and play games or if there is snow, go drunk sledding.
- Long Break. I am extremely lucky in that my company shuts down completely between Christmas and New Year’s, so starting on Christmas Eve (or even a few days before), I am off until the 6th of January :) I don’t have any plans once we get back from Christmas in Peoria, but hanging out with nothing to do but start training for Boston sounds fantastic!
- New Shoes. Remember last summer when I went shopping for racing flats? There were two shoes (Mizuno Wave Sayonara and Saucony Fastwitch) that intrigued me for everyday lightweight trainers. I decided then that when I retired the two pair of PureCadence I was currently rotating, that I would pick the Sayonara or Fastwitch to rotate with a new pair of Cadence. With the reduced mileage from my injury, it took me much longer to get enough mileage on my shoes to justify completely retiring them, but, alas, I am finally there! My original plan was to test both shoes and decide on one, but I had a gift card to Naperville Running Company (my 2nd place prize from this race) and since they only had the Sayonara in stock, I got them. And because I essentially got those for free, I plan get the Fastwitch as well and will rotate all three. More shoes = happy runner.
- Recovery Room. I have talked about Liz and Chicago Recovery Room before. I am currently seeing Liz once a week for ART on my persistently tight and annoying glute and hammy. She is amazing at inflicting pain, but she also really knowledgeable and is helping me make sure that I am doing the right things to build strength and fix the collapsing hip that is the root of the problem. Plus she is pretty damn funny too :)
I hope everyone is having a great Friday and that you are all preparing for at least a little time off to relax and be with family over the next week. Happy Holidays and Happy Running!