FINALLY

It was 45* and pouring rain…on the morning of my Pepaw’s memorial. I stayed up late watching TV and when I finally did sleep, it was restless, as I was nervous about speaking at the memorial. I set out for a run on unlit country roads at 6:20 a.m., when the sky was still completely pitch black. I didn’t have a hat (an absolute essential for a rainy run) and I (stupidly) decided at the last minute to not wear gloves.

All of these factors, combined with my self-proclaimed “2013 running slump” created the perfect storm for yet another disaster run. In fact, when I stepped onto the porch and saw the conditions, it was one of those days that, if I wasn’t marathon training, I know I would have gone straight back to bed.

But I was optimistic, as I have been on every run for the last 2 weeks. I just knew that at some point a good run would finally come. That I would eventually experience *that feeling* on a run. That one that is unexplainable to someone who doesn’t run. That one that keeps us coming back, despite the pain that often accompanies this sport.

As I started out in the rain, I tried to manage my expectations. The plan was to warm up for 3 miles, then attempt 3 miles between 7:15-7:23, then to cool down for 2 more. But I told myself that it was more important to feel good about the effort than to hit the pace early and fall apart at the end. If that meant 7:40 tempo miles, then so be it.

My headlamp needs new batteries, so it was very dim. Between that and the rain, I felt like I was running blind, but as the three warm-up miles progressed, I felt more and more like “myself” for the first time since my Christmas Day run. I started to get excited about the tempo miles, feeling the promise of a hard, but strong effort.

When my watch clicked over at mile 3, I opened my stride and picked up the pace. I intentionally started the first mile on a down hill and quickly was hitting a sub-7:00 pace. Once I settled in, I ran hard and steady, monitoring my pace as I pushed hard on the uphills and coasted the downhills: 7:17, 7:16, 7:14.

I finished feeling perfectly drained but not like I would keel over and die. And then I smiled during the entire 2 miles cool down, because for the first time in 2013, I felt great about the run. I finally felt like myself again.

FINALLY.

This entry was posted in family, Goals, life, running, the lake, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to FINALLY

1. lschwecherl says:

I’m so glad you are out of your “slump!” I knew it wouldn’t take long (:

Glad you had a great run. I’m so sick of a broken treadmill and freezing (like under 20, even below zero and barely above zero at 8am) temps!! The parts for my treadmill are on order so I’m just kinda slogging through, running outside when time/weather allow.

It was only a matter of time, Corey–congrats on a great run!

BOOM. so glad it was a good one!

I love it when it all comes together at last. I had one like that yesterday–today….not so much….but I’ll take what I can get!

6. Sarah OUaL says:

Love – will try to remember this next time I’m feeling crummy and unmotivated. Who knows what can happen after the first few steps! Happy to have you back :)

7. Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane says:

So so happy for you. It’s such an amazing feeling to finish a run like that :) Even with bad weather and low visibility, it’s as if you were destined to have a great experience.

Yay!! You need that confidence boosting run. I love those, too! Awesome pace, Corey. Hope you have many more!!

9. Pingback: All Kinds of Random |

10. A news-worthy bright spot within this sector has been Delta Airline’s order for 100 Boeing narrow-body jets in a deal estimated to be worth more than $8.
    However, this is not critical as long as the weather is dry
    and it’s not going to be wet or damp as this will really prevent
    any of the desired result from happening. s move to Mexico is taking jobs
    out of American hands, Meador has a couple of points to share.