Good News & Bad News

I am interrupting my Ragnar Recaps for a little update on things going on in my racing life and well, just life in general.

Sometime last fall after B2B, I shared my upcoming race schedule for the winter and spring. Since I know most of you aren’t constantly stalking my Races Page, I imagine you haven’t noticed a few changes in the schedule.

Bad news first…

This weekend is the 3M 1/2 Marathon. It was going to be my brother’s first 1/2 marathon, a fun weekend with my family and a reunion with my Hood to Coast teammates, Elizabeth, Tricia and Jennifer. But I will not be going to Austin this weekend.

In December, one day after his 90th birthday, my Pepaw passed away. He spent most of his life in Florida, working as an aerospace engineer at NASA, but for the last 5 years or so he lived in Lynchburg, Virginia (at an awesome community that I talked about here), where he grew up and still had friends from high school!

61440_5000851979512_1491702735_n

The most recent picture of Pepaw. He was thrilled when he got his new scooter!

Pepaw chose to be cremated, but my Mom and her sisters are going to Lynchburg this weekend to clean out his apartment and have a memorial for him. Brad and I will go up Saturday and stay until after the memorial on Tuesday. I wasn’t especially close to Pepaw, since he lived far away most of my life, but it is still hard to see my mom lose her father and know how hard that must be for her. Please know, I am okay! The weekend will be a celebration of his life and a chance for me to see my California aunts for the first time in several years.

I don’t want this to seem insensitive as I jump from one subject to the next, but because this blog is mostly about running, I want to share the good news update on my racing schedule as well.

So, the good news…

After we cancelled our trip to NYC in November, Molly, Jocelyn and I found ourselves constantly brainstorming via text and email when we could reschedule and get together in New York. Of course, we wanted to the trip to surround a race (duh!), and we tried our best to find a weekend that worked for all three of us. Jocelyn suggested that we enter the lottery for the NYC 1/2 Marathon. Unfortunately Molly is already running RnR in DC that weekend, but I went ahead and entered anyway, not really thinking I stood a chance of getting picked. BUT, I GOT IN!!

nyc halfSo, instead of attempting to go sub-1:40 in Austin this weekend, I will be gunning for it on March 17th in NYC. I will be deep in peak week of marathon training, so we will see what my legs have left, but I am beyond excited to run the streets of NYC and see some of my favorite people for the weekend!

In the end, after the disaster of running that was last weekend (more to come on that soon), I believe that running 3M wasn’t really in the cards for me anyway. My brother had an injury and his training was derailed too, so we are hoping to try again in 2014.

I do wish SO MUCH LUCK to Elizabeth and Jennifer in Austin and also to Holly, Laura and Kelli in Houston as well as so many of you that are running Disney or Goofy this weekend!

Run Fast and Never Give Up!

This entry was posted in family, friends, Goals, Hood to Coast, life, Races, running, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Good News & Bad News

I’m sorry about your grandpa–but happy for you about the NYC Half! I’m doing a half that same weekend (Canyonlands in Utah–altitude one, not expecting to PR, but I bet it will be gorgeous). Interested, meanwhile, to hear about the rest of your relay….

2. Well I am sorry to hear about your grandpa, but love your attitude.

Congrats on the half, have a blast!! Now to go read about ragnar and wish I had been here.

3. carotabi says:

I am sorry for your loss. He looked like he was a great guy! I know your mom will appreciate having you there over the weekend. You are doing the right thing. Congrats for NY!

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, Corey. I think you’re making the right decision by being with your family this weekend. And that’s exciting news about the NYC Half!

So sorry for your family’s loss and having to miss out on the 1/2 this weekend, but it sounds like racing-wise, things are falling into place just fine and NY sounds like a fun one!

6. Christina says:

Awww, sorry to read about your Pepaw. Sounds like he lived a long and fulfilled life! NYC should be loads of fun. btw, I’m trying to integrate adopting a kitty into this Schnoodle household and the first attempt did not go well :( Wondering if the Schnauzer trait is coming out. *sigh*

Interesting! We never considered a cat, so I didn’t realize…are schnauzers not typically “cat friendly”. Ours are pretty fascinated with our neighbors cats when we are over there. They just want to sniff it and get close to it and check it out and of course the cats aren’t really excited about that! I have heard that pups just eventually get used to the cats being around after a while though? Good luck with that!!!

7. Sorry for your loss Corey. But it sounds like a weekend of healing. I know that sub 1:40 in your future!

8. Lauren says:

I’m sorry about your Pepaw, Corey. No matter the circumstances, it’s always hard to lose a loved one. I hope that your family is doing alright – and I hope that this weekend is a nice memorial of what sounds like a very full life.

I’m also glad that racing plans seemed to have worked out for the best. I’ve heard great things about the NYC Half. And I’m sure the reunion with Jocelyn will make it even better! I have some serious race envy going on right now :)

Thanks Lauren. I guess there is no chance I can talk you into coming down to NYC just to visit that weekend? :) I am excited, but the 1/2 weekend definitely won’t be the same as if the marathon had gone on as planned!

9. I’m so sorry for your loss, but everything you said is so sweet and thoughtful. I hope you and your family enjoy your time together this weekend. Good luck in NYC in March!

i hope this weekend goes okay for you and especially your mom. i’m sure it will be hard. i will miss hanging out with you though!!

11. Pingback: Ragnar Florida Keys – Leg #2 |

So sorry for your loss… hope you all get to support each other and remember him well. And thanks for the shout out for the weekend!

13. Your grandpa looks like such a sweetheart. I’m sorry to hear that you lost him recently :( Keep his memory alive. Maybe you can run the SpaceCoast Half Marathon or Marathon in his honor in November.

14. mollyberries says:

SO excited for you and getting into the NYC 1/2!!!! I have a feeling 2013 is going to be a big year for you!!!! :)

15. XLMIC says:

I am so very sorry to hear about your grandpa. I love that photo of him. He looks like a really nice man. (((hugs)))