Relaying…Again!

Once upon a time, relatively early in my running life, I heard about these crazy things called long distance relays. I don’t remember who told me or where I learned about them, but I was intrigued. I began searching the Ragnar website and was immediately interested in the race from Miami to Key West. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about Key West, including the beautiful drive over the many long bridges through the Florida Keys that take you there.

ragnar map

I polled a few of my running friends to see if they would be interested in getting a team together. A few were mildly interested, but mostly I heard something along the lines of: “Running ALL NIGHT LONG? ON NO SLEEP? No thank you!” So for the time being, I abandoned my dream of doing a long distance relay.

Then 2 years later,  a friend of mine told me she ran the Hood to Coast Relay with some of her crazy running friends. She said the team was entering the lottery for the 2011 race and needed a few more team members. I was in! I sent in my check and was ECSTATIC.

And then the team got rejected…and once again, my relay dreams were lost. Temporarily.

Then as most of you probably know, I had the unique and amazing opportunity to join my favorite hydration company and Team Afternuun Delight at Hood to Coast this summer.

htc_delight-05

I doubt many of you missed my never-ending ramblings about this amazing adventure, but here are my recaps of Leg 1, Leg 2 and Leg 3, the pre-race and post-race fun. And of course, my final thoughts

But this race didn’t satisfy my desire to do a relay. Nope. It actually drove my hunger for more. I fell in love with the whole concept of being in a van with 6 semi-strangers, running on no sleep, no real food and with tired legs from giving your all on previous runs. I have been itching to do another one.

And suddenly, at the very last minute, I have been given the opportunity to do just that! And not at just ANY relay, but the relay that caught my attention all those years ago when the idea was first planted…

ragnar miami to key west

That’s right! On January 4-5, I will be running Ragnar Florida Keys with Team Nuun!

In related, and very exciting news Nuun is the official hydration sponsor for the Ragnar Relay Series through 2014!! Check out the article and definitely stay tuned for your own chance to run a relay with this amazing company!!

To say I am excited would be an understatement. I am thrilled. And of course, grateful beyond belief to Nuun for giving me the opportunity (again!) to support a product I love and believe in while running a race that has been on my running bucket list for a long time.

With the exception of one non-blogging/tweeting friend, I don’t know any of my teammates for the race, but we are all starting to get to know each other through e-mail. Comments like “…so that we can great van 2 with open arms at the finish line! With drinks in our hands of course :)” makes me think these are my kind of people and we will get along just fine.

I will be runner #7, in Van 2, which will give me a little different relay experience than being in Van 1 at H2C. There isn’t much value you in showing you elevation maps, etc, since the entire race is essentially flat and there is less than 100 ft. elevation change on any of my legs. But in case you are curious, I will be running 18.2 miles broken down like this:

Leg #1: 4.2M (estimated start time ~3:00 p.m.)

Leg #2: 9.9M (estimated start time ~1:45 a.m.)

Leg #3: 4.1M (estimated start time ~11:21 a.m.)

I couldn’t be more excited to run 10 miles in the middle of the night! This winter I have rarely seen the sun on my runs (except in races) so I will be right at home with my headlamp and my own thoughts :).

This is all happening in less than 3 weeks! Between now and then: Brad and I leave tomorrow to drive to IL for Christmas, then we flying out to Breckenridge on the 26th with his family to go snowboarding (ahem…7 days with zero running?! Not the best relay prep!). We get back on the 2nd, I will work from our offices in the IL on the 3rd, then fly to Miami that evening. Whew! Crazy times!

I am not sure how much I will be blogging between now and the beginning of the year, so in case I am not back here before Christmas, I wish all of you a very, very happy holiday. In light of what happened in CT last week and a loss in my family and a very dear friend’s family in the last few days, I know I will be cherishing every single minute with the people I love.

This entry was posted in friends, Hood to Coast, Races, running, snowboarding, training, Travel, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Relaying…Again!

Those relays sound like SO MUCH fun. I am sure you will make great friends and your super speedy legs with impress them all. :) Have a Merry Christmas! And what, no running in the snow in Breck?? They are saying the mountains got quite a bit the last few days. We’re getting a few inches today in the metro area. I’m sure the slopes will be perfect for your trip.

I figured I would get enough exercise snowboarding I wouldn’t want to run. Oh and the whole “on a mountain covered in snow” doesn’t help either :) I will still keep you updated about if we have time to meet up. Brad and I have talked about a day trip to Denver one day, so I will 100% let you know!! The snow is FALLING LIKE CRAZY!!! Can’t wait!!

2. fullrunner says:

How exciting! I’ve been wanting to do a Ragnar Relay for a while now – hopefully one day I wil :)

I can’t wait to read your recap posts in a few weeks – good luck on each leg and Merry Christmas!

Awe, Merry Christmas to you as well!! You should apply for one of the Nuun contests when they come out!! Then you get all of the relay fun, without all of the planning headaches :)

3. XLMIC says:

That is so cool!!!!! Both that Nuun is the new Ragnar hydration sponsor AND that you’ll be running FLA Ragnar with them! Have a blast!!!!

Whoa!!! This is so awesome, Corey!!! I’m so excited for you, it’s definitely going to be a blast! I can’t wait to hear all about it :)

Ahh so cool! I love the Keys too – so gorgeous. Sounds like you will be busy will all kinds of crazy fun things the next few weeks. Can’t wait to hear about it! And Merry Christmas!

6. Now I’m really sad I won’t be running the relay!! :( bummer. I hope you have fun and love it! PS Nuun arrived last week and will be available soon…love that stuff!

Ahhh, so exciting! Doing an overnight relay in on my fitness/running bucket list, and I’ve heard nothing but phenomenal things about Ragnar events. :)

8. Denise P. says:

Awesome! I did Ragnar So Cal and Ragnar Vegas this year. So Cal wasn’t the greatest experience, but Vegas made up for it. I knew a team going to Key West, but unfortunately the timing and my finances didn’t work out. Those puppies are addicting!

9. lschwecherl says:

CONGRATS! This is SO awesome and just reconfirms how awesome you are! 10 miles at 2am huh? (:

OH MY GOSH CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is SOOOOOO freaking awesome. This is like the #1 relay I want to do in my life! HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!

11. That’s awesome!! I’ve been dying to do a relay, and the fire was only fueled when I realized the next to last leg of Ragnar TN ran through my neighborhood this year! I had an awesome time cheering the runners on and harassing all of their teammates with 1,000 questions about it. I’ve already started planting seeds with friends for a team next year. Can’t wait to read about your experience!

Through your neighborhood?! That is AWESOME!!! Hope you can get a team together!!

• I KNOW! I knew it was going on and as I was driving down the street a block from my house that AM I saw some runners with bibs – wondered how the heck I missed a race in my neighborhood, looked closer and saw they were Ragnar, so I promptly found the spot nearby where their vans were parked and cheered and chatted with them for awhile – loved it!

Wow, Corey! Such amazing news!! I can’t wait to hear all about it and live vicariously through you. :)
    You have a busy few weeks coming up… enjoy your holidays and all the travels! We’re staying here this year, so it will be fairly quiet. Which I’m really excited about. :)

13. Lauren says:

Congrats Corey!! This is so awesome! And I will admit that I have a wicked case of envy right now. I’d love to do Ragnar Florida Keys…someday. Can’t wait to live vicariously through you!!

Merry Christmas :) Have a wonderful holiday!

so sad i can’t go. so, so, sad. but, i know you will have fun! and, you will be in van 2! totally different experience! which is really cool. safe travels today! xo

15. NOOOOO now I’m going to cry. They emailed me but I’ll be gone for Oakley and you’re going to be here :((((((

16. rissarose80 says:

Holy Cow!!! Corey Harris?! I was reading one of my fav blogs, blonde ponytail through Instagram and saw your pic! Wow!!! Your running skills are FAR past mine but my hubby & I do enjoy the sport and ran the half in Houston last year!! Ill start following you!
    My Instagram is Move It Marissa!

Hey!! Marissa!!! I met Jess from Blonde Ponytail this summer at Hood to Coast Relay! She is the best :) So crazy connecting with you through her! Looking forward to keeping up with you now!!

Congrats, Corey! I’ve been mostly offline recently and so missed this great news. Some friends of mine are trying to coax me and the husband onto their Ragnar Colorado team next September, but I’m feeling balky about committing because the BQ is still out there is my first priority. Maybe I’ll just send the husband and then live vicariously through you and him…..

18. katie says:

ok, I’m super duper behind so I’ll just say: have a blast!

19. ditto, i’m way behind too. i did keys in 2010 and it was a BLAST! perfect scene for a relay :) have a great weekend!

20. Congrats!!!! That’s awesome!!! I am actually planning/hoping to do a relay next year – nothing is confirmed yet – but I can’t wait, it will be my first! I hope you had a great holiday and fun snowboarding, I love Breckenridge! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

21. Pingback: 2012 Goals in Review |