Race Week “Don’ts”

You know what’s not ideal? A New Orleans-style boozefest, ahem,  business trip in the days leading up to a PR-attempt race. While it was a really great trip, from both a business perspective and the fun-factor, I am certain that the last 3 days have not prepared me to race my best on Saturday. Let’s recap:

Monday – Wake up at a ridiculously early hour that I usually reserve for only sleeping or running. Travel to New Orleans, with pre-packed snacks of grapes, berries and a banana. Track down a veggie-filled Subway sandwich for lunch and then have a great all-afternoon meeting, followed directly by dinner at Drago’s. Two glasses of wine, grilled fish with green beans and bed time at 9:00 p.m. (At least I started with the best intentions.)

Tuesday – 6 horrible, awful miles on the gym dreadmill. Death to the TM, but safety first!

tm

All-day meetings/work stuff followed by 5 p.m. happy hour reception, shortly followed by dinner with craft beers and capped off with a looonng evening hopping from bar-to-bar on Bourbon St. In pouring rain. And 4″ heels. Dancing and drinking lasted well into the early morning hours and I finally stumbled to my room between 4 and 5 a.m.

photo-38

The “must-have” sickenly sweet hurricane

Wednesday – Wake up at 7:55. Pace around my hotel room a little to get the blood flowing and dial in to 2-hour teleconference starting at 8. It was blurry, but I am pretty impressed with my performance (i.e. I stayed awake). Forgo nap for 40 minutes on the elliptical and some upper body strength. Stuff poor, swollen, blistered feet back into work shoes (flats this time) and proceed to walk every aisle of the trade show for the next 5 hours. Finish the work day with yet another happy hour (including 2 glasses of wine and a fantastic client meeting!). Dinner, with more wine and beer, followed by low-key drinks with long-time business friends. Avoid Bourbon St. and go to bed at the oh-so-early-hour of midnight-ish.

Thursday – Wake up at 7:30 feeling surprisingly refreshed. Travel home. Skip planned run. Begin recoup with naps on plane and lots of ass on couch.

So, what do you think? All things you would recommend before attempting to run an already challenging, stupid-fast (for me) time in 13.1 miles on Saturday?

I am not making excuses. If I don’t run as fast as I hope on Saturday, it will be my own fault and my own doing. Could I have been responsible and skipped the especially late night of partying? Of course. But in my new position at work I haven’t seen many of the colleagues that I was spending time with in months or in some cases, years. I really, really miss them and I wouldn’t trade the fun that we had and the stories we created for anything. Not even a much-desired PR. There will be other races.

I am all packed and getting Nuun-ed up though and I am ready and excited to run! We are leaving tomorrow morning around 9 and hopefully I will be squealing excitedly and eating lunch with Elizabeth by noon!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Especially Jess and Steph in Rohoboth and Ali in Dallas!

This entry was posted in Food, friends, parties, Races, running, Travel, weekend fun, work travel. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Race Week “Don’ts”

Don’t give up on your goal! Sometimes you can do all the wrong things before a race and end up with amazing results! Stay positive and I’m sure you will do great!!! Thanks for the shout out friend, I am so ready to rock it this weekend!!!

2. Mariajose says:

Sometimes you just have to enjoy the part of life without the running too! Just take some time to recover and do some quick strengthening instead of sitting on the couch lol. Maybe run a mile or two just for fun but I’m sure wearing those heels did some strengthening work already that will help you :)

You may surprise yourself and have an amazing PR race. Or you may have a really good race but not PR (and still be insanely faster than most of us “runners”). But you said it all…there will be other races. Glad you had a fun trip! And just to make things a little brighter for your run – my 5k on Sunday has a forecast high of 18 and 3-6 inches of snow in Denver Metro. I don’t even know how to begin to dress for a run in that and am scrapping any plans of watching my stop watch on my phone to try to get under 29-30 min cuz I am NOT taking my gloves off!!!

It’s tough to balance training with real-world happenings, and I totally would’ve done the same thing–how many times can you bar hop on Bourbon Street? Like Jodi wrote, you may surprise yourself and do surprisingly well! :)

Do your best- you might surprise yourself! I’d try to imagine yourself smashing your pr- believing it can happen makes it much more likely. :)
    I have a half on Sunday– it snuck up on me! Also hoping to pr… we’ll see!

6. You might have been “bad” according to the running bible, BUT you had FUN and made memories! I am all about living your life and not holding back. This won’t ruin your race, I promise!!! In fact, the night before I won my thanksgiving day 5k I drank at least 3 glasses of wine at a multi course (super rich) dinner!!

Good luck my dear! And thank you for the shout out :)

Sometimes life > running. I would’ve done the same thing, except I would have totally chosen the 40 min nap over the elliptical. :) Good luck!!!

8. Knowing you speedy, this will have no impact! Enjoy your time with Elizabeth!! Good luck!

Say hi to me when you blow by me! :) I was a race week fail this week too…got sick, ate a bunch of candy, made cranberry margaritas…oh well!

I think you can still PR, but it sounds like you’re going into it with the right attitude. I know that PR is out there. I can’t wait to hear how it turns out. Who knows? Maybe the “drinks” taper is the best one. ;^)

11. Jocelyn says:

Good Luck this weekend!! A “bad week” usually means a good weekend, right?

hopefully the “recovery” on wednesday and thursday was enough! good luck!

13. Good luck!! I like your attitude though, racing is just one part of life and sometimes those other moments are more valuable in the long run

14. Pingback: Kiawah Island Half Marathon |

15. You’re hilarious! And you sound like a fun person to go out with :) I hope you make it to MBM so we can meet!