Thursday Thoughts III

Happy Almost-Friday! I don’t know about y’all, but my week is draaaagging by, but were almost there and in the meantime, I thought I would share some fun things from my week:

1. I went trail running! In the dark! My (super fast) twitter friend, Matt, tweeted Monday night that he was going trail running with some friends early Tuesday morning and asked if I wanted to join. I said sure, why not?! So, armed with my headlamp, I met Matt and 3 other guys near Paris Mountain State Park on Tuesday morning and we ran 5 gloriously dark miles on single-track trails. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. In some moments, I was craving light, but mostly I felt happily wrapped up by the darkness. I nearly rolled my ankle about 38,497 times and I am not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed that the guy behind me told me “Nice Save!” several times on the run as I avoided catastrophic face plants. The guys go every Tuesday morning at 6 a.m. and I definitely plan to become a regular.
  2. I got my Keystone/Breckenridge/A-Basin Season Pass yesterday! It is a great deal (a season pass is essentially the same price as a week pass) and we love to snowboard so it was a no-brainer. We are heading to Breckenridge for a week with Brad’s family after Christmas and then to Keystone for a long weekend in February with some friends. I can’t wait!! Crossing my fingers for a dumping of snow between now and then.

Whistler

3. I am going to New Orleans next week for work, then running the Kiawah 1/2 marathon next weekend! I am excited to race this distance for the first time since March. I have cut out all speed work since B2B to give my body a break before Eugene training starts, but I have kept my mileage up and am looking forward to seeing how I do. I am definitely feeling the lack of speed work in my long run paces, but with a good taper (yes-I’m actually tapering for a 1/2), and fresh legs, I am hoping to chase down a new PR!

And now for some completely random things…

• I received a big Picky Bar delivery yesterday (Ordered at a 30% discount last weekend!). This is the 2nd time I have ordered them and they are, hands down, my favorite energy bars. And I have tried many.
  • I am not on the “I need to get back on track” bandwagon after Thanksgiving and I honestly don’t really get it. Why can’t you indulge for a couple of days and then go back to your normal lifestyle without a big ado? My friend Lauren also touched on the subject here.
  • I am SUPER excited for everyone racing 26.2 this weekend! So much good luck and speedy wishes to Sarah and Terzah as they go after BQ’s this weekend at CIM. Also to Mason, Meghann (her first!) and Twitter friends, Paulette and Holly at CIM and to Krissy at  Three Bridges Marathon in Charlottesville, VA. Am I missing anyone?! I am sure I am! Tell me if you are racing and, of course, if there is tracking so I can stalk you :)

This entry was posted in family, friends, Greenville, Races, running, snowboarding, training, Travel, work travel. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Thursday Thoughts III

1. RunToInspire says:

I did my first night run during Hood To Coast this summer – it’s TERRIFYING! lol

haha…I am a little used to running the dark because I usually run early in the mornings before work and right now it is still pretty dark. But TRAILS in the dark was a whole new experience!!

2. fullrunner says:

Longtime follower, first time commenter. I actually came across your blog thanks to Mile Posts- I went back and read it from the beginning :)

I recently experienced my first trail runs, but I can’t imagine doing it in the dark! Kudos to you.
    Good luck on your half next weekend!

3. krissy m. murphy says:

Thanks for the shout out, Corey! :D

P.S.
    That snow picture makes me want to head to a mountain NOW! I used to ski and snowboard all the time when I lived in Japan! I miss it!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Do you ever go over to SnowShoe? It’s probably not that far from you, right? Of course it is nothing like what you had in Japan and going out to the Rockies, but it’s not bad for the East Coast!

I LOVE trail running! Hope to do more of that next year. They say you never go back once you’re hooked. :^)

Thank you for the speedy wishes, Corey. Maybe do an anti-wind dance for us too.

Ugh…I know how you feel about the wind! I was seriously obsessing over it before B2B. I hope it isn’t as bad as the original forecast said!! I know how bad you want this!!

5. Lauren says:

Amen to that (x1000!)!! I enjoyed my Thanksgiving and have done absolutely nothing to “work off the calories.” Three cheers to just living life!

That trail run sounds exhilarating! Glad you didn’t fall. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to conquer a trail in the dark…maybe an idea for next time I need an adrenaline fix!

And my husband and I just bought season passes to a local mountain for the first time. VT mountains don’t exactly compare to Colorado mountains, but I’m still really excited to do a lot of skiing this winter!

6. Megan says:

Awww, thanks Corey! You are so sweet! Your support will help me while I’m running in the rain. :)

Trail running sounds like quite a challenge! You’ll be doing an ultramarathon before long–mark my words. :)

8. Sarah OUaL says:

Thanks girl :) Really excited to hear how your half goes – you’ve been absolutely killing it this year and I bet you close it out with a bang.

9. We’ll be carrying Picky Bars at KickStart Endurance!! Woohoo! Looking forward to the race report for Kiawah

so ready for next weekend. and so very jealous of your NOLA trip. just because i want to eat. and agree on thanksgiving, i sometimes need to get my “life” eating back on track, but not from a holiday. belly up to the table and ENJOY!

I live about 15 min from DIA so maybe we can grab lunch on your way to the mtns or back down from them when you are out here!

That would be great! I will be with my in-laws on the first trip and probably won’t have our own transportation, but maybe we can still make it work! In February, we will definitely have more freedom since we will be on our own, so we can for sure do it then! I would love to see you!

So excited for Kiawah!! After this week, I need a beach vacation.

I’m running a half next weekend, too! The TriGirl half… I don’t know much about it, but my quads are still sore from Monday’s hilly 20 miler, so I’ll definitely be tapering and crossing my fingers for a pr as well!

i didn’t know you could run in PM before they “open”! a friend and i went once in the summer and though it was daylight (since it was summer) they still weren’t open. we hopped the gate and contemplated it but ultimately chickened out.

Actually, we left from one of the guy’s houses so we didn’t enter the trails from the park. We entered from the road. It seems like anyone could run in where we did though?!