A Follow-Up Post…

You know what I think is one of the most annoying things that people do on a blog? Write posts with vague references to “the most amazing thing ever…that I can’t share yet” or “some really difficult things happening in my life”, with no explanation.

And yet, that is exactly what I did in my Turkey Trot post last week.

Why? Honestly, because I didn’t feel that the story about my race was complete without mentioning that I had an emotional week and that I wasn’t going into the race 100% mentally there. And because at the time the drama (for lack of a better word) was consuming me. But as I started writing, I quickly realized that there are definitely some things that are just personal enough that I don’t want to share with the world on the internet. And finally I understood why others have done the same.

Typically around this little blog, things are all sunshine and rainbows. Why? Because that’s pretty much how things are. I don’t generally have drama in my life and over the last several years I have been pretty damn happy. So other than sharing the occasional ups and downs of training and racing, you pretty much only get positivity from me.

But I think it is also important to be real. And to share that my life (like everyone else’s) is not always perfect and happy. That shit happens. And while we deal with it, figure out a way to live with it or resolve it, we have to keep things in perspective.

I had a really hard time last week, taking a step back and reflecting on all of the blessings in my life. I was wrapped up in the issues occurring at the moment and am a little sad that I was unable to take a step back and appreciate all of the things that I do have. I know this should be a daily process anyway, but I especially like to reflect on holidays, and on Thanksgiving in particular.

So, as I have gotten home, put things in perspective and worked through some of my thoughts, I am taking the time to reflect on all the amazing things in my life and how fortunate I am. Last night, we had a really nice evening putting up our tree and as Brad went out to get dinner (take-out, of course, since there is zero food in my house!), I just sat in front of the fire, thinking about all the things that make me happy and how fortunate I am to have so many of those things in my life.

I haven’t completely moved on from last week’s events. And the situation is far from resolved, but I am content to be back in a place where I am not consumed by it and can be myself again!

Whew…so that was a long rambling of thoughts that I have been having over the last few days. I am not even sure how much sense it all makes, even as I re-read it, but there you have it.

And just so that I don’t leave here on such a serious note, I will share with you some images from the Turkey Trot!

20121126-193421.jpg

This entry was posted in family, friends, Greenville, life, Race reports, Races, running, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Follow-Up Post…

Well, I totally know how you feel about some things being too personal to share. My post today was just a fraction. It’s one thing to put my own life out on the internet, but when other people are involved, it gets tricky. But this is YOUR space. Share what you want, and don’t worry about the rest. You get to make the rules on here! I hope everything is ok!

I hope that things get better for you!! No doubt, you shouldn’t feel like you have to share everything to everybody and their mom on the internet.

Also, your Christmas decorations are lovely. Mine are lame.

hahaha- i looked at those pics and thought “ damn her for looking so cute when she is running so hard” :) and then i scrolled down. Pretty sure my 5k looked like that. at least you know that you gave it 110%, right? yalls house looks so pretty! real or fake tree?

It’s fake. Since we aren’t here for actual Christmas, we just do a fake one so that we don’t have to take it down before we leave. Also…pre-lit = winner.

4. Meredith says:

Hope everything comes to a good resolution with your family. I love that you are a positive person. I have only been competing for a couple of years in triathlons and running, but the community that surrounds it is what motivates me. Positive people with good vibes! Haven’t seen you in years, but I can feel your good energy through the net!! heeeee

5. RunToInspire says:

your tree looks amazing! SO festive

I’m so glad you’re feeling better! I agree, my blog is usually upbeat as well because I usually am. But it’s nice to get glimpses of the reality of life’s struggles once in awhile. Yes, you have lots to be thankful for!
    Those pictures are awesome… I forgot to check mine out– have to go peak!

7. I think that’s why I try to do the daily gratitude journal. It forces me at some point in the day to step back and focus on the things that are right. And I agree life usually is pretty pleasant, which is why I think sometimes other things really throw us off balance. :) glad you are home and love the tree!

vague posting is annoying – esp on facebook! but i know sometimes you just need to get some stuff out for yourself, no matter how descriptive it is. always good to step back and put things back in perspective.

9. Pingback: Halfway |