Lungs 4 Life 5k

I am not sure why I get excited to run 5k’s. Every time I sign up for one, I have this vision of the race being so much fun…I mean it’s the best of both worlds, right? I get to race, but I don’t have to revolve my whole week around it. There is no taper, no worries about what I eat, no obsessive hydrating, etc. But what I always manage to forget is that 5k’s are freaking brutal. They hurt. A lot.

Background

I signed up for this race in an effort to cure my post-cancelled trip depression and hoped that the cooler temps might help me finally get the sub-21:00 5k that eluded me this summer.

Pre-Race

Brad and I copped out on cooking dinner and ordered greasy Papa John’s pizza and bread sticks Friday night (remember what I said above about not caring about what you eat?!). We followed that with an early movie for a perfect low-key Friday evening. Buuuut…on the way home from the movie, we got a text from a friend to meet him for a beer. It was only 9:00, so sure, one beer? Why not? Well, every one knows that you can never go out and just have one beer (although I truly did only have 1). We ran into some other friends, had a great evening of telling stories and laughing and 3 hours later, just after midnight, my head finally hit the pillow.

Fortunately the race had a late start, so with an 8 a.m. wake-up call, I still got plenty of sleep. The YMCA (where the race was being held) is a little over 2 miles from my house, so I left around 8:45 for a nice, easy warm-up run to the start. Once I got there, I did a little more jogging and some strides to make it a total of 3 miles. Then I quickly went {inside} to the bathroom and lined up at the start. (I LOVE local races!)

The Race

I started toward the front, right behind a couple of fast looking guys and a line of about 15 kids under the age of 12.

The race starts with about a 1/4 mile downhill, which was a good way for me to get my “always start too fast” portion of the race out of the way, without using too much energy. At the bottom of the hill my Garmin read 6:24.

The initial downhill was followed by a short uphill and I tried to smooth out the effort and settle into a hard, but manageable pace. I knew it was going to hurt, but I was hoping I could make it until at least mile 2.5 before I was really struggling.

I took the rolling hills as they came and my watch beeped at mile 1 in 6:48. One woman had taken off with the fast guys (lady in lime Green above) and I was hanging with a group of about 4 other women for most of that first mile. As we turned the corner into the park, I noticed the pack of women was down to 3 of us, separated by about 10 – 15 yards.

I was happy to be in the park, where I knew it would be flat for the majority of the rest of the race. I leap frogged with those 2 women for the next mile, keeping the pace pretty even. Mile 2: 6:49.

At about mile 2.5 I was really hurting. I was going up a slight incline and I looked down and saw 6:55 on my watch, so I pushed to pick it up. At that point, I decided that I really DID NOT like 5k’s. I just kept asking myself how important was it to me to break 21:00.

In the last 1/2 mile, I settled in stride-for-stride with a tall, young guy. We were both breathing hard and struggling but it was almost like we decided that we were just going to run it in together. He pushed passed me up the short steep hill to get back to the finish area and I tried to stay as close to him as I could. I felt like I was crawling up that hill. Once I saw the finish, I pushed as hard as possible. Mile 3: 6:46. Finally I hit the grassy section of the finish chute.  Final 0.08 (per Garmin): 30 secs. (6:14 pace).

I had an idea of what the paces needed to be to be under 21:00 and I knew that it would be close, so when I saw that my watch read 20:53 as I stopped it at the finish, I was pretty happy!! My official time was 20:46, but I am a little confused as to where the 7 seconds difference could be? Maybe the timing mat was further up than the finish banner?

(Also, 20:46 is a 6:41 min/mile avg. My Garmin splits weren’t even close to that during the race. But the same thing happened at B2B, where my Garmin splits were quite a bit slower than the official splits. I wonder if my Garmin is off?! The course advertised that it was “certified”. Thoughts?)

After the race I stood around and chatted with a couple of people that I knew and made some new friends too :). My (super-fast) friend Kevin, whose wife ran the race, told me I was 2nd female, so I waited for awards. It was really heart-warming to learn about all the fund raising that was done for the race…nearly $60,000 total for this little local race!!

With Chris Draft (former NFL player and Lungs 4 Life Health Advocate)

After I got my award, I slowly jogged 2 miles back home to finish with a little over 8 total miles on the day.

This entry was posted in Goals, Race reports, Races, running, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Lungs 4 Life 5k

Oh my gosh, congrats!!! I’m so happy you crushed your sub 21 goal!!! I always forget how hard 5ks are, I love to hate them. Great job!!!

haha…I like that “love to hate them”! P.S. So sad I didn’t get to see you this weekend. We are trying to find a weekend to reschedule. I am excited for you to crush Rehoboth Beach!!! Just a few more weeks till you get your day!

Woohoo, Corey! Congrats on your new PR! 5-Ks are always so sneaky; it’s right around the two mile mark I start questioning things, lol.

Now THAT is awesome! I wish pizza and beer had that effect on me. Congratulations, Corey!

4. Mom says:

Your bib number is the year your Dad graduated from high school. Just thought I would let you know. Anyway, I am once again amazed at what you do and so very proud of you.

5. evamadera says:

Way to go Corey! I know exactly what you mean about 5ks. You’d think that racing them would be easy…it’s only 3 miles after all. :) keep up the fantastic running!

Awesome job, Cory!! I knew that sub-21 was going to show up soon. :) I agree- racing a 5k is brutal. I was just thinking up ways to get out of “racing” the Turkey trot… just a nice morning run before Thanksgiving, right? :) If only I could convince my competitive nature that I don’t have to ‘race’ every race…

I am always torn because if I spend the money on a race, I usually want to “race” it. Also I feel like right now I want to use the fitness from the 70.3 to try to break some older PR’s. So I will be putting myself through more pain again at the Turkey Trot too…ugh. hurts just thinking about it!

Ummmmm holy ridiculous FAST. That’s crazy fast right there. And SECOND FEMALE??? You SERIOUSLY should go PROFESSIONAL!!! Yay for PR’s!!!

You always make me laugh :) For reference…last year at this race, my time wouldn’t have even been top 5! All the fast people must have gone to the zombie run later in the day :)

Damn, that is like sprinting for 3.1 miles. Freakin’ awesome! Congrats on the awesome PR. :) Imagine how quickly those Parkside and back runs would have gone back in the day if you ran them like that. Melinda would have thought you cheated. Hahahahaha!

hahahaha! SO TRUE. You know, I have no idea how long those 3 mile runs even used to take, but I have a feeling with all the lifting and everything we were doing, that I would have been much faster back then if I actually tried to?!

9. Pingback: Woofstock 2012 |

love how you push yourself! thinking about a 5K on Thanksgiving-haven’t done one in a year and a half! congrats, congrats on your PR and AG!

11. I knew you were going to hit this milestone!! Great job! Love the hurts so good face in that pic too- as it should be for a race! As for 10K on Thanksgiving…I’m seriously considering loaning you my pacer and just running easy. I’m sure I’ll change my tune that morning, but seriously, if you want to borrow my “rabbit” let us know- he runs for beer! :)

haha…thanks for the offer! If you decide to run hard, I am thinking we would probably be right around the same pace?! We could do it together!

• definitely! i was thinking/hoping we’d at least start together and have the unspoken/spoken rule of no hard feelings if one went ahead. :) this morning’s tempo run made me feel a little better about running hard for a 10K. it will be my 2nd race of that week though so we’ll see (doing 25K that sunday)..

12. woo hoo! congrats on the sub-21. always requires some fight to get down that low. official time better than garmin? i wouldn’t argue that! :)

13. Lauren says:

Congratulations!! Sub-21 AND second female sounds like an amazing race!! I love the picture of you sprinting toward the finish. That look of determination on your face says it all.

14. Pingback: Kiawah Island Half Marathon |