It’s Race Week…

…and I am freaking out a little bit! I have a million and one questions running through my head and I am having a hard time silencing the crazy.

There are the taper questions….

I don’t feel recovered. Did I taper enough?

I am cutting back more than my plans calls for this week. Am I doing too little?

And the goals questions…

I have BIG goals. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

I want to leave it all on the course. If I feel good at the start of the run, should I throw the 2:00 time goal out the window and run 8:30′s?

And as always, the logistics and gear questions…

It’s going to be cool at the start of the bike. Should I wear my tri top, knowing I will warm up eventually? Or should I swim in a sports bra under my wet suit,  throw on a jersey for the bike, then change for the run?

I want to take in most of my liquids through my aero bottle. Should I try to put Nuun tabs into the cold water from the aide states on the go? Or should I put Nuun bottles in my other cages and refill from those?

Jenni didn’t get a ticket for the bus to T1. Am I responsible for her since we are taking my car to the race? Or should I let her figure it out herself?

The swim is in salt water. Should I take the time to rinse in a fresh water shower in T1?

I will be heading out from my hotel at 6 a.m. and I won’t start until almost 9 a.m. What should I wear for throw away clothes (no pre-race bag check)? What should I bring with me for food?

The current is strongest in deepest water. Should I stay to the left of the green buoy? To the right of the red? Under the purple? Behind the blue? ahhh…

Where will we eat Friday night? Where do we shower after the race? Should we stay Saturday night or come home?

*************************

I don’t expect these questions to make sense to anyone else. They are mostly nonsense rambling thoughts. But, alas, a little insight into where my head is right now.

I have never been really big on mantras, but I might just need one to make it through the next 3 1/2 days of work until Jenni and I hit the road for Wilmington Thursday afternoon. What I will be repeating to myself (thanks to Elizabeth for reminding me this morning) is “I AM READY”. I have done the training. I have the experience. I know what to do. I am ready.

This entry was posted in bike, Goals, Races, swimming, training, Travel, triathlon. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to It’s Race Week…

I totally get it on the questions (though most of the tri ones…over my head!). I’m nervous about my race this weekend, too, mainly because I truly have no idea what to expect in terms of pace. I will try to check in with you! Is yours on Sat or Sun (mine’s on Sun)?

I am excited for you! First race since…Houston for you?! I am guessing this is where having a coach helps right? He will probably give you a pretty strict race plan. My race is on Saturday! I will definitely check in with you somehow on Sunday! GOOD LUCK!

As you know, I am feeling the same way! I can’t even imagine how I will feel during race week! Elizabeth is right though, YOU ARE READY! I’ve been reading all of your blog updates about your training and you have definitely put some hard work in! TRUST YOUR TRAINING (I should take my own advice). Yes, is your race Saturday or Sunday? I will totally be cheering you on from NYC!

Also, I am going to take you up on that offer to call me the morning of NYC marathon to make sure I’m awake! Can’t wait to see you soon friend and kick ass this weekend!!!

Isn’t it funny how we can give advice and we KNOW what we should do, but it is so hard to take that advice?! The race is Saturday. I will post race tracking, etc. once I get it this week. It will be a while before I can tweet results or anything, I think because the logistics (i.e. access to my phone) are a little wacky!

3. Jaclyn says:

You are completely and absolutely ready and prepared physically for this race. You have done all the training and now just need to focus on relaxing, staying loose and eating well. Nothing in the past can be changed, so believe in yourself and the training you put together.

As for the logistical stuff, I’ve done plenty of salt water swims. Don’t worry about washing off, the sweat and breeze on the bike will take care of that :) I would think putting Nuun bottles on the bike and into your aero bottle would be easier but think about what logistically you have been doing all season.

Most importantly, enjoy the experience, have fun racing. This should be the fun part. You are going to ROCK IT!

THANK YOU for the advice. It is nice to hear that from someone with experience. Also, I think you are right about the bottles on the bike. They may not be as cold, but much easier to refill with and then I can just cruise through the aide stations. You seriously helped me finally make this decision that I have been debating for a long time! Thank you :)

4. ichoosetotri says:

Go have fun! Best of luck! You’ll do great!

WHOA LADY!! Take some deep deep breaths!!! You are going to ROCK this race! You have done the training – you have put TONS of “hay in the barn” so to speak, and you are seriously ready to dominate. Think of all that raining you’ve done. Trust it!!

That’s a lot of worries! Don’t worry! You got this!

Good Luck to ya!

Thank you! Yes, I read something this morning that says that in endurance sports, worrying takes energy…so STOP worrying :) Good advice!

you are ready!! :) no clue on half of that list other than: go to goodwill or walmart and buy cheap throwaways. thoughts on the run-i’d say go the first 3 miles or so at your regular plan and slowly increase (like jocelyn did). trust your taper-it will make you crazy. take a showerpill (if worse, comes to worse and you decide to go home and not stay and you can’t shower) and find italian for friday night. maybe i helped…

Good call on the race strategy. I think I will hang out at 9:00 for the first 3 and then evaluate how I feel after that. Thanks! Oh and Goodwill…I am heading there at lunch today :)

Corey, you totally got this! You’ve put in the work, so just think about that and the rest of it will come to you.

Your nerves and questions are totally normal, Corey. Even though it’s difficult, now is the time to relax and trust your training; you’ve worked so hard for this race, and you’re definitely ready. :)

Thanks Carrie! I am feeling MUCH better today than yesterday! You are right though…I just need to trust the training and relax!!

Seriously, I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I were in your shoes, I’d be so nervous! I am so excited for your race recap. You are going to rock it.

Thanks Jodi! I am obviously feeling much calmer today than I was yesterday…may also have something to do with being super busy at work and not having time to think about it! That is a good thing!

11. this is pretty much how I’m feeling about NYC, with a lot of the same questions oddly…like no bag check and getting there really early. I think Taper Madness is just a requirement :)

I do the same thing with millions of questions before a big race… hope you can answer them all and settle your nerves. Then channel that adrenaline into your race- good luck!!