Random Musings

As you can imagine, now that I am within the 2 week window of my race, my thoughts are starting to get a little crazy. I won’t go into details about how I get butterflies every time I think about the race, because it’s only going to get worse in the next 12 days…I am sure most of you can relate.

So I will share with you some other random thoughts that I am having right now…

• I realize (and don’t love) that this blog has turned into ONLY talk about all things triathlon! I realized it when Sarah posted about the same here. The issue is that my life sort of revolves around this race right now and therefore, the blog has become a reflection of that. While I worry I won’t have anything (meaningful) to post about after the race, I am looking forward to the blog becoming more what it used to be…a mix of life, running, pups, etc.
  • On the same note, I am completely over my weekly recaps. I just feel like they are kind of boring and a post that just fills empty space every week. With that being said, I recently enjoyed looking back over the posts leading up to Augusta, so I am glad I did them. I just may try to figure out another approach for races in the future (like a journal?) where I can document what I did and how I felt, without having to bore the internet with it :).
  • I am in Virginia Beach. I got here yesterday and leave tonight. Whirlwind trip that started WAY too early on a Monday morning, especially considering I had to give a presentation that I didn’t know very well about an hour after arriving. Blargh, I survived.
  • I haven’t seen my pups in 12 days. We had our back yard sodded and since they have to be off of the grass for 3+ weeks anyway, we figured this was a good time to send them to “school” where they can spend some time learning better manners (that we must also learn to enforce!). I miss them like crazy.
  • I am LOVING fall TV. At the risk of everyone thinking knowing I have no life, I will share with you that Brad & I religiously watch about 10 shows throughout the week (in addition to football and other HGTV regulars). We always DVR and never watch live (commercials suck) and we LOVE sitting down to watch together!
  • I have marathon envy. After following the training and successful races of some of my real-life friends as well as some of my Nuun teammates (shout out to KellyJocelyn, Laura and Emily for kick-ass races recently!) I am VERY anxious to tackle 26.2 again. I do have some races on the schedule…which you can see here (if you are really curious, which I highly doubt) and I will talk a little more about each of them after Beach 2 Battleship.
  • Brad went to the Clemson vs. Georgia Tech game last weekend with some friends. I, of course, couldn’t go because I had to complete a massive brick workout on Saturday. In preparation for a day of tailgating, he made yucca. Ever heard of it? I hadn’t, but apparently it was popular with his crew in college. Recipe: 1 handle of vodka, a shit-load of lemons (squeezed, some left in jar) and about a pound of sugar. Mix in a plastic jug, let sit for a few days and consume. It tastes like lemonade and (obviously) hits you like a ton of bricks. I completely missed out.

Beer & OJ – perfect combination.

That’s about it for now. There are only 2 more days before I can start weather stalking the 10-day forecast. Yes, I know I said I will go with the flow regarding things that are out of my control (like weather), but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to start obsessing about what I might wear on race day, based on the forecast!

This entry was posted in bike, Ernie, friends, Greenville, Races, running, swimming, the boys, training, Travel, triathlon, walter, weekly recap. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Random Musings

I actually love your weekly recaps… every time I read one, I think I should be doing those more often. It’s fun to see how other people train. And I definitely have marathon envy, too… especially because I never got one in last year. Hoping it happens this winter!

2. 1. I think about my race non stop too….its ok!! I am really excited to see how you do!!
    2. Are you still planning to go to NYC this year? If so, I REALLY want to have a meet up!!
    3. If you are still planning on item 2, can you bring some yucca to the finish for me?!
    Ali

I will definitely still be in NYC! I know Steph (epicuriousrunner.com) is planning a meet-up…not sure on details yet. Have you heard of others yet? Yucca would be perfect (dangerous?) after the race because it seriously tastes just like lemonade :)

Seriously, marathon envy! I’m am so ready to just do it! I need to stop reading blogs for the next two weeks. Also, your recap posts are great because it gives me an idea of what it would take for me to do a race like that (except I would do it much slower ;) )

4. Sarah OUaL says:

Real life confessions – love it. I swear I spend 80% of my time while running trying to think of something other than running to post about. It hasn’t worked yet. I need a supplemental hobby. Or another big party to plan (posts were so easy when it was wedding this wedding that!)

TWO WEEKS SO EXCITED! Cage up all those butterflies and let them freaking fly race day.

Ah, the prerace butterflies; know them all too well. You will do great, Corey! PS – Your doggies are super cute. :)

6. lschwecherl says:

12 days?!! so exciting. I am envying your tri-talk; seriously something I’d love to do… but it takes so much hard work and dedication..which you are rocking! :)

um, yes, sarah’s post inspired me to get back to my old posts too. :) i like the recaps-even though i don’t always understand them. and obviously agree on the journal. and tv. and running goals. so glad you are my twin. :)

8. Meredith says:

Aw I love the recaps!!! I’m a big myfitnesspal person, mainly for the fact that I can look and compare workouts with everyone!!! It’s quite useful. Good luck with your tri, I am psyched for you!!!!!

What are your 10 shows your watch each week???? I have major marathon envy.

I actually stole the term “marathon envy” from you :) We watch: Castle, Bones, Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, Gray’s Anatomy, Dexter, Homeland, Private Practice…and a few others, but these are the main ones :)

10. Tri Madness says:

Ya know….there’s absolutely nothing wrong with posting only about triathlon ;-) Good luck at B2B – of course, next year you should stay close to home and do the Rev3 race in Anderson. It’s a stellar venue!

If you’re looking for a great marathon in the spring – consider the 26.2 with Donna in Jacksonville. It’s billed as the national marathon to end breast cancer. I’ve done it twice. The crowd support is awesome, the course is beautiful (and includes a couple of miles literally on the beach), and it’s pancake flat.

It really is kind of silly that I am driving 4 hours away to race when this weekend, there is a race 20 minutes from my house! Thanks for the recommendation on Jacksonville. I actually have a friend running that marathon…

11. hehe, i can relate to so many of your thoughts. Seriously why must we live so far apart.

I definitely get race nerves, which I then think is silly because I’m not going out to break any world records!

Fall tv, yes it’s far too good. our DVR is exploding

I am still crossing my fingers that you and David end up in a 100 mile radius on your next move! :) Not quite Denver, but much cooler than Miami!

12. did i seriously not respond/comment on this? i know i read it, but alas, i’m losing my mind! :) random posts are the best thing ever! so fun to get a glimpse into how people are really feeling and what they are really thinking. like laura, i love you recaps b/c they remind me to get my booty into the pool. not that it’s happened recently, but you at least make me think about it :)
    so i can’t wait to hear if the puppy training school keeps yours from getting on the dining room table again. i still laugh when i think about that…
    you are going to have a great race!!! can’t wait to hear all about it- hopefully while running 6.2 miles through the Galleria on Thanksgiving morning!!

YES! To running 6.2 on Thanksgiving morning that is! I need to update my 10k PR :) Also, the training is only as good as the pup parents that reinforce it…sooooo it’s going pretty well, but maybe not as good as it could :)

13. Jocelyn says:

You are going to do awesome at B2B!!! Also – yes you need a Journal – totes great for Type As.

Can I track you???