Hood to Coast Pre-Relay Fun

Alright friends, here we go…

I realize that you  may be reading many posts on everything Hood to Coast from 30 different bloggers and trust me, I am sensitive to that, but it is really important to me to be able to tell my story too. I hope you will bear with me and not be too annoyed and I will get back to all things training, running and Beach 2 Battleship soon!

This trip was amazing from start to finish. It is really hard to put it all into words and pictures and still capture the emotions, excitement and fun that I had. I will do my best, without getting out of control with the length!

Wednesday

My adventure started with a 3:45 a.m. wake up call. Katie showed up at my house shortly after and we  headed to the airport, only to find security wasn’t even open yet. This frequent traveler NEVER gets to the airport that early, but there was really NO WAY that I was going to miss that flight!

I was very happy to be traveling with Katie…it was nice to have someone else who understood the excitement and anticipation, despite it being an unreasonably early hour of the day!

The best thing about a flight that leaves at a ridiculously early hour? By 10:30 a.m. (Pacific Time) we landed in Seattle! We met a few of our teammates at the airport while waiting for the awesome Caitlin to pick us up. Meeting a few of the girls at a time was really nice because it helped ease into it all and wasn’t nearly as overwhelming.

(Although obviously since I am a stalker I pretty much recognized 99% of my teammates from their blogs as soon as I saw them :))

After being on the plane all morning, there was nothing I wanted to do more than get my legs moving. So by 11:30, I found myself dressed in run gear with a few speedy teammates who were also itching to get some miles in. We set off on what turned out to be an awesome 8-mile run on the Seattle waterfront. It was a beautiful day (they tell me this is rare is Seattle?!) and I couldn’t have asked for better company! We chatted the miles away and the time flew by.

Molly, me (why was I so sweaty?), Emily & Jess

After the run, I did a quick change (THANK GOODNESS for Showerpill!) and headed to the baseball game to join the rest of the Nuun peeps and my teammates.

While I love baseball, I was too busy chatting with everyone, eating 2 giant soft pretzels (with fake liquid cheese of course) and drinking local IPA’s to even watch the game.

Molly, Elizabeth, Me, Awesome Nuun Finger

After the game we hit up a couple of local breweries for drinks and dinner. I hear there was some solid beer sampling going on, but my table skipped all of that for a little low key conversation. By the end of the evening, I was absolutely exhausted and was more than ready to head back to the room and be in bed before dark. I quickly found out that chatting with my awesome roommate Elizabeth was way better than a few more minutes of sleep! We hit it off like we had known each other forever.

Thursday

Being in a room with fellow East Coaster, Elizabeth, and Midwesterner, Jess, was ideal because we were all more than ready to bounce out of bed at 7:00 a.m. before the alarm went off. We quickly got dressed and met the others to head over to Green Lake for the option of a swim or run.

And bonus?! We got to meet at Oiselle HQ before heading out!

Thank you Kelly & Sarah for letting me use your pics!

Everyone else ran, but I opted for an open water swim with Nuunies, Meghan and Jay. We were a little hesitant to get in the water since it was 58 degrees out, but after waffling then failing to get access to the indoor pool, we sucked it up and hit the lake. The water wasn’t actually that cold at all and while the Seattle-ites claim it was “gross”, I thought it was basically the cleanest lake I have ever swam in.

I chased my fellow swimmers’ feet the whole time (Meghan was even doing backstroke for part of it!) and while we didn’t go too far (maybe 1000 m?) I felt like I got a great long distance sprint workout :).

After the swim/run activities we headed back over to Oiselle headquarters for a little more Oiselle story telling and to check out the new, fun things they have coming soon!

P.S. I am not a big t-shirt person, but I am now a HUGE fan of the Oiselle soft tee’s. If you don’t own one, I promise you won’t be sorry if you go order one. Soon.

Eventually we headed back to the hotel, where (thanks to Jennifer) we were treated to Jamba Juice smoothies!

Jess, me, Sarah, Tonia, Elizabeth

After showers and a little Type A organizing by Jocelyn, we had a fantastic taco lunch…

Maybe one of the most heard comments of the trip…”I love how no one here thinks its rude when you are on your phone all the time!”

Eventually we made our way over to Nuun HQ. It was heaven for this Nuun-lover, with sampling of new super top-secret flavors and getting to meet all the awesome people behind the brand.

We also got to dig into our sweet swag bags, which I will talk a little more about throughout  the recaps.

And FINALLY…it was time for the Nuun-hunt! For those of you who follow me on Twitter, consider this a public apology for bombarding your feed with #Nuunhunt and #2L2Q. I was fortunate to be on the awesome 2 Legit 2 Quit team with LaurenZoeJennifer and Molly.

This was a really cool way to see Seattle on foot and get to know these 4 very awesome ladies. We truly thought we killed it, but apparently we only got enough landmarks for 2nd to last place!

We had a great time sharing stories with the other teams, but after walking around the city all day, most everyone was just really, really tired.

BUT we still had one very important task! Van decorating!

Me, The Blonde Ponytail (Jess) & Amanda

I am a total newbie at the whole van decorating thing (unlike the awesome Kelly), but it was fun to try to be a little artistic. In the end, you really can’t go wrong with bright colors, fun sayings and big letters.

When it was finally time to head back, a few of us decided that we weren’t ready to wrap the night up completely. We headed to a brewery that was conveniently located just across the street from our hotel. It was fun to do a little more chatting, run talk and future race planning.

And FINALLY after two awesome days and lots of laughs it was time to go to bed so we could wake up and experience HOOD TO COAST, “The Mother of All Relays”.

To be continued…

This entry was posted in friends, Hood to Coast, Races, running, Travel, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Hood to Coast Pre-Relay Fun

Great recap! Also, I look like I am crying in your baseball picture! hahaha, I assure you I was having tons of fun! :)

haha…that is the ONLY reason I didn’t link you in that pic! I thought I would wait for all the cute pics that will be coming in the next posts!

2. Kristen says:

Great pictures and recap! I have been reading tons of posts from all your fellow Nuun HTC teammates and it hasn’t gotten old yet! Looks like it was a great weekend.

Thanks Kristen! It is neat to see everyone’s different experiences, so hopefully they are enjoyable and not overload! It was a fantastic weekend and I am so, so lucky to be a part of it.

3. xlmic says:

I can’t believe you did an 8-miler AND an OWS before the Nuun-mazing Race ;-)

It was so fun to meet you! I only wish we’d had more time to chat and really get to know each other. Next time, right?

I REALLY wish I had more time to get to know you. I hope that we get another chance (next year?!) to spend time together. P.S. Can I just tell you ONE MORE TIME how fantastic you looked in your skirt? :)

and i, like you, am a total stalker and knew everyone too. are we creepers?? seriously the most fun weekend with you. look forward to many more racing adventures and hearing about your legs via the blog!

I hope I can do a better job with the actual writing on the leg recaps. Words just don’t do it justice…and this one I think I got too wrapped up in pics and didn’t focus enough on describing the experience!

5. This looks like awesome fun! I’m pretty much jealous.

SUPER SECRET NUUN FLAVOR TASTING???? I MISSED THAT???!!! Please please PLEASE tell me more!!!

7. Jocelyn says:

This is such an awesome recap! No but seriously it is. Also, totally didn’t realize I was being Type A about the Tacos – BUT I WAS. Omg I don’t even know who I am anymore?! #gowiththeflow

haha…honestly I didn’t think your Taco organizing was Type-A at all, I just had to put that because everyone is giving you so much crap :) I was so glad that you set a time and location to meet and got us all organized or we would have been split off in 12 different groups! So THANK YOU for being a planner. (plus I am somewhat Type A myself so I can appreciate a little organization!)

• Lauren says:

I don’t know what you are talking about Corey, Jocelyn is totally “go with the flow!” ;)

haha…I actually feel bad now because she really WASN’T being Type A at lunch that day, but I just had to give her a little “nudge” because I love her so much!

8. Lauren says:

Loved meeting you this past week/weekend! And Team 2L2Q was the winner in my book. I wouldn’t have traded you girls for anyone else!

I’m glad your first HTC experience was so awesome! The weekend went by way too fast. As tired as I was by the end of it, I found myself wishing for more time. It was so hard to leave for the airport on Sunday night.

And I want in on your future race plans! Can we please plan an east coast race? :)

I had the most amazing time and I completely agree with you, it was so hard to leave for the airport. I am actually REALLY glad I missed my flight though because I had so much fun Sunday in Seattle. I am happy I got to spend so much time with you while we were there! I DEFINITELY want to plan an East Coast race. I am toying with another marathon before Eugene? What’s on your schedule??

Wow, I’m so jealous! Getting to know all these bloggers, running with them, visiting Oiselle headquarters, amazing! I’m not surprised that you really hit it off with so many of them- you’re one of the easiest people to connect with! Excited for the rest… :)

Thanks Laura! I cannot say enough times how incredibly lucky I feel to have had the opportunity. Thank you for the sweet comment :) I really appreciate you saying that.

10. Pingback: Hood to Coast: The Mother of All Relays – Leg #1 |

11. Mom says:

I read all of your posts as soon as I got home. I even signed up to get emails of your posts. I won’t miss another one. Have a good weekend. Love you!

ok i’m dumb. i didn’t realize katie is also in the area! lol. i don’t own any oiselle but i love a lot of their stuff that i’ve seen online. it looks cute!

Actually Katie just moved here in mid-July. She was here a while back, then moved to Louisiana and has just returned this summer! She is actually working with Go-Green Events!

13. mollyberries says:

I couldn’t stop smiling while reading this post! So, so great! For starters, I have zero recollection of the photo being taken at the ball park, and I am SO very happy in it! Best margaritas, EVER. Second, the ‘Why am I so sweaty’ comment on our 8 mile run photo about made me pee my pants. Why am I standing so strangely? And how awesome am I with my name on my shirt? Zero cool points for me! SO glad we got to spend SO much time together! I feel a bit spoiled! PS. Why did I not notice Jen’s amazing guns before seeing your NuunHunt photo collage? Damn, I’m gonna have to start drinking Diet Mt. Dew!

haha…I love the “Molly” shirt in the pic. Everyone knows who you are! It is really funny seeing it in a pic that isn’t a race pic :) I had to go back and look at how you were standing?! I didn’t even notice!

14. Pingback: Going With the Flow |