It’s Gone.

{Is that title just a little over-dramatic, or what?!}

I have lost my swimming mojo. I don’t know why or where it went, but I need to find it again.

My face does a good job of describing how I feel about swimming right now…

What’s funny about this picture is that I actually LOVED the swim at Lake Logan and had a great race…despite the lack of time in the pool. P.S. Aren’t wetsuits the MOST unflattering thing ever?!

It is really hard to make myself go to the pool. Once I am there and in the water, sometimes I remember why I used to love to swim and I go hard, losing my thoughts in the pulling, kicking, breathing, turning rhythm. Most of the time, though, I adopt the “fake it till you make it” mantra and get the yards in, but without any enthusiasm and watching the clock constantly.

Thanks to Master’s Swimming, I have managed to get myself to the pool almost once a week. (I have to make too many excuses to my training buddies to miss EVERY Wednesday night workout that they frequent :)) But now that 70.3 training is in full swing, I really should be swimming at least twice a week, if not more.

This isn’t like me at all. I look forward to all of my running and biking workouts. I get excited for the challenge of speed work and the endorphins that come with a long run or ride. I wake up at ridiculous hours of the morning ready to push myself, sweat my butt off and check off the workouts in my plan. That is why I LOVE to train for races…because it doesn’t feel like work. It feels like doing what I love. Yet, I schedule my swim workouts and hope, pray and beg for rain or some other unforeseen event that means I don’t have to go to the pool?! Then I skip half of the ones I scheduled with some other *lame* excuse. I just am not enjoying it.

I can think of all kinds of reasons why I don’t like swimming lately, but honestly, does it really matter? What really matters is that I have 10 weeks before Beach 2 Battleship and I  need to get it in gear! If I want to have a strong race in all 3 areas, I need to dedicate to all three sports.

So I am asking for your help? Should I just suck it up and do the workouts since I made the 70.3 commitment or is there a way to get back to the place where I like swimming again? What motivates you when you have lost your mojo? (whether it be running, biking, swimming or just exercising in general…)

This entry was posted in Goals, swimming, training, triathlon. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to It’s Gone.

1. Jaclyn says:

I completely lost my swimming mojo (actually don’t know if Ive ever had!) after my horrendous swim at Motivation Man and only just in the last 2 weeks have I felt ok about swimming again. I stopped going to the pool and have been swimming with groups in the ocean. I know you can’t get there but if there is somewhere else outside the pool you can go, maybe not seeing walls and lines will help. I know it has for me….keep it up the good work!

You are so right. When I was at the lake last month, it was SO much better swimming there. We have a few around here…they are just like hottubs right now. Few more weeks they won’t be too bad though. Definitely need to try to make that part of my weekly schedule. Much more realistic too.

Well, if you go to the pool, there’s always a chance, no matter how slim, that this guy will show up. That’d be enough for me. ;) http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/08/michael-phelps-for-louis-vuitton.html

3. You signed up for a 70.3 event! That’s amazing/awesome/huge. I guess you gotta do the work to get there. But you’re light years ahead of me by just signing up. [o: I’m impressed. Usually an upcoming event is motivation enough. Sometimes training is fun and sometimes it’s work. So, I don’t know. Better to get the work in than have a shitty race I guess.

I think you are completely right…you commit, you do the work. And maybe, just maybe, while I am doing it…I will start to love it again :)

is this the post you referred to on twitter?? if so-on worries :) i don’t think it is at all. but, in reference to the swimming, i can sometimes relate in my running. i usually take a few days off and it seems to all work itself out and my mojo comes back. although-maybe this is why i refuse to maintain any sort of training for speed? no “real” mojo??

It is! And thank you. I just felt like it was a little whiny and negative and I don’t want to go there. So I appreciate it :) It’s funny because the more time I take off of swimming, the WORSE it is to go back?! On running…I actually started to get MORE excited about it when I started doing speed training and track workouts…it seemed like it mixed things up a bit when I was getting bored and tired of doing it. Just a thought…but if it is also related to your body being burned out – that is probably the worst thing you could do!

5. Pingback: Weekly Recap: Derailed |