Lake Logan Goals

I am racing tomorrow! It has been a WHOLE MONTH since I have raced :) More importantly, I am racing my first (and only) Olympic Distance Triathlon for the summer.

The race is at Lake Logan, in Canton, NC, which outside of Asheville, NC (just under 2 hours from Greenville). I have heard great things about it and am looking forward to doing something new!

The swim is wet suit legal, which is exciting because I have worn my wet suit a total of one time (during Augusta 70.3) and it will be nice to race in it again before Beach 2 Battleship.

Even though putting my time goals out on the internet for everyone to see sets me up for a bit of excuse making disappointment if things don’t go well, I still like to share my goals for the race. So here we go:

Swim – 1500 m

Two open water swims last week gave me a little more confidence, despite not having spent much time in the lake this summer. The wet suit should help make the time a little faster too! I am hoping to stay in the 1:30/100 m range, which means I would like to swim under 23:00 minutes.

Bike – 24 miles

My bike goal is typically always the same: 20+ mph (under 1:15:00). I noticed from stalking checking out last year’s times that nearly the first 50 women averaged over 20 mph. This tells me two things: it is a fast course and the field is fast!

Run – 6.2 miles

I would like to go under 50 minutes in the run, (about an 8:00 min/mile). More importantly, I really would like to run the entire time. Yeah, um, I am not one who usually walks in races, but in both Olympic Distance races that I have done, I have walked some portion of the run. They were both very hilly courses, so I am hoping that was the major factor and not just that I struggle to run a 10k after swimming 1500 m and biking 24 miles!

Transitions:

I definitely want to keep the transition time down! I know I will need a little more time than I do in sprints because in T1 I have to take off my wetsuit and will probably throw on riding gloves before the bike. I will also likely run in my Brooks PureCadence, which don’t have speed laces. I still think my transitions should both be under or around 1:00. With that being said, I don’t know what the lake exit or swim-to-bike distance will be like, so no big deal if I am over that time.

If I meet all of these goals, my total race time would be right at 2:30. I am looking forward to racing in a more competitive field than I have all summer. This is a bigger race (than the typical <100 people that I have raced so far) and draws from Charlotte and all over NC as well as the Upstate of SC. This means that getting on the podium is not likely, but it is a good test to see where I stand against some fast ladies!

Char and I are headed to Asheville after work for packet pick-up and we are staying in a hotel about 20 miles from the race site. I am looking forward to a relaxing night and a great carb-load in Asheville with racing friends tonight!

Don’t forget to check out my Nuun Giveaway!!

This entry was posted in bike, friends, Goals, Races, running, swimming, triathlon. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Lake Logan Goals

1. Jaclyn says:

Sounds like a good race and an even better race plan….now go out and execute and kick some butt!

Have a great time, Corey! I love Asheville–it’s beautiful out there. Good luck in the race!

I love Asheville too! It’s so close, yet we don’t go there enough! I am looking forward to eating in Asheville tonight…there are tons of good restaurants!

3. mer says:

Great place for a race! Sounds like it will be a fast one….don’t kill your legs on the bike and good luck! Get char this time around hehehe

Good luck! I looooooove Asheville – you’ll have a great weekend, I’m sure. Go carbo load at Tupelo Honey or Lex Ave Brewery! :)

Those are impressive goals! That swim time just blows me away… I’ve got a lot of work to do on my swim. :) Go get it!! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

haha…having swam competitively at one point in my life (4000 – 5000 yds or more everyday), it kind of just stays with you to some extent. The downside? I see a little benefit when I swim more, but I would have to swim ALOT more to see much improvement from where I am now.

6. Caroline says:

Good luck for the race!!!

hope it went well!! i somehow missed how you did on twitter i think?? look forward to the recap. I love asheville!

8. I didn’t realize you were near/in Asheville. My aunt and uncle live in Cashiers, NC. Excited to read about your race!!!

No way! Cashiers is an awesome area! We spent our anniversary this year at Old Edwards Inn which is really close to there! Also, it is a cool area to ride and I have ridden up there a few times! Have you been there yet?

9. Pingback: Lake Logan International Triathlon |

man. i need to get up to this area more often. it’s a shame how much i don’t explore the areas around greenville!

It really is beautiful! I didn’t even know that this area existed..AND it is really close to the Blue Ridge Pkwy…which I have somehow never, ever been on! I definitely need to get out and explore more too!