Finding Balance

After last week’s exciting announcement, I found myself more engrossed in social media than ever. I wanted to “get to know” everyone (who I wasn’t already familiar with) through their blogs. I found tons of new people to follow and interact with on Twitter and I read every single post in the new group Facebook page.

I spent way too much time, while I should have been working, last week doing all of the above at work. As a result, I wasn’t productive at all and, in turn, it left me feeling guilty and agitated with myself.

Then after a low-key weekend with a lot of free time, I found that when I wasn’t riding or running I was perusing said social media outlets plus following races of people who I have never met in person.

And now I find myself with a bit of a social media overload.

I love it and am addicted to it, but I don’t necessarily feel good about myself after spending so.much.time. indulging in it.

Not only because I was a complete failure at my job last week, but also because I should be enjoying my husband, my puppies, my friends and all the amazing things that are in my life as well as all these really exciting virtual things!

I still haven’t figured out how I am going to establish a balance. I started with putting my phone away at lunch and just enjoying a lunch in the park with Brad and the dogs. I know Brad appreciates this, as I could tell he had about enough of it over the weekend. He never really said anything, but I felt very distant from him with my head buried in my iPad and him doing other things.

It’s not that I am so worried about losing touch with the virtual world, because I still don’t have a ton of real connections with people (with some awesome exceptions). I still feel like I am kind of new to a world that many others are very established in. But maybe that is what I am so intrigued by…is making those connections that I see others have with fellow runners/bloggers/team members/Twitter buddies? Maybe it is that feeling of wanting to be included and a part of something that I think is pretty cool? Kind of like a virtual popularity contest? I don’t know?

But what I do know is that I will be a much better blogger and a much more interesting person that people want to know, both virtually and IRL, if I enjoy all the things that interest me, social media included…with balance.

This entry was posted in family, friends, Hood to Coast, life, technology, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Finding Balance

1. well said! can’t wait to meet you in August :) :)

This was a great post, Corey. I went through this several months ago and still struggle with goofing off with social media when I should be working or concentrating on my husband and kids. However, I do have a much better balance after some trial and error (I pretty much ignore Twitter unless there’s a specific thing I’m looking for, for instance, and I try to post to my own blog max 3x/week; I also don’t always read everyone’s back posts on the days when I’m catching up on others’ blogs).

Finally, the biggest thing that set me free was that I stopped being worried about my blog being popular in terms of number of followers or comments or getting lots of free stuff for giveaways etc. When I started it, that wasn’t why–I started it because I had a goal and wanted to be accountable for it. Once I got back to that mindset (I’ve even gotten rid of the followers box), I felt about a thousand times better.

Thanks Terzah. I appreciate this comment because you absolutely gave me a reminder as to why I started this blog in the first place. I have always maintained that I wouldn’t get caught up in the number of people reading/commenting, because I never started out to become a “big” blog. And still don’t have that goal. But I do think that recently I have forgotten a little about that and let myself be worried over things that I shouldn’t. I needed that – thank you.

Yes- I hear you! It can take so much time and doens’t leave you feeling any more accomplished. I try to set aside certain times of the day (often an hour of L’s nap and an hour after she’s asleep) where I’m free to do as much as I want blogging related, and then cut back other times of the day. Right now, she’s watching Sesame Street so I got on for a minute… :) It’s hard! But I hear you- I don’t like the popularity contest pressure either but have enjoyed making a few connections that are a little more “real” over hundreds of followers. And it’s definitely important to remember to put it down and enjoy life!

I like how you established a “schedule” for yourself with being online. I remember your post about it a little while back. And I absolutely appreciate the connections that I have made that are, like you said, more “real” (including you!)…it definitely helps if you have had a chance to connect with someone in person and then can keep current with them through social media.

4. My husband and I have been focusing on this a lot and setting boundaries on the phone and checking email and trying to make time without phones and stuff where we focus on each other, what we are doing, and what is in front of us at that time. Technology is definitely addictive!

I love that you guys made the decision together. This make it so much better to commit to, rather than if one or the other of you “mandated” it. I will definitely be working on this, one day at a time!

5. Christina says:

I understand and relate to everything you wrote. I work with a web development firm so we are “rooted” day in day out in the internet, however, it can become consuming at times. I find that by carving out specific “social communicating” time each day, one can find a good balance. I get caught up in the morning, along with news, get my emails squared away and then take a break from it all from about 11-2PM. Then I do another batch of email/Twitter/FB/social and then take another break from it. Then maybe one more session in the evening. So, basically I do about 3 batches of all of my social/email communicating a day and then free up my time for other things. And I definitely don’t do any of it while running! ha ha :-)

Thanks Christina! Actually that is a really good approach. I find myself on it for a few minutes at a time CONSTANTLY, so I think its a good idea to “schedule” it for myself so that I don’t feel so guilty, yet I still get the *fix* that I need :)

6. Pingback: Tri The Rock – Quick Goals | Schnoodles of Fun!

i’ve been on vacation all week and i am embarrassed by the amount of time i have spent today catching up on everyones blogs. yes, every single HTC blogger. several posts back. technically today is an off day and and a day to catch up and relax but wow. it’s a lot of reading. i have got to find a balance too. great post!

Thank you! It sounds like you had a great race at Big Sur! Welcome back to the heat and humidity of the Southeast :) I have definitely spent my fair share of time trying to “get to know” all of our future HTC teammates by reading their blogs the last week or so too. It’s fun! But definitely a HUGE time suck!