Sweet Free Week2: What I learned

Despite the dream I had last night that I downed an inordinate amount of sweets, a second week with no sweets is now complete! This started off as a “candy-free” challenge for myself because I consumed an absurd amount of candy around Valentine’s Day and needed to get that in check. But since I know that the more sugar I eat, the more I crave, I decided to go sweets free all the way.

I know I am not the only one testing my will against sweets. Word on the streets internet is that Terzah, Laura, and Paige have all given up sweets for Lent. I am not sure I will make it all the way until Easter, but I have made through week 2!

What is really interesting is that I have learned quite a bit about my sweets cravings through the last couple of weeks. The first week was a little unique because of my work travel but being back in a normal routine has taught me a few things about what triggers my cravings and how I can manage those things.

1. I absolutely, positively am conditioned to crave something sweet after I finish a meal. I am sure this stems from the fact that we always ate sweets after meals when I was growing up. My dad would always ask (and still does) as we sat at the table finishing a meal, “What’s for dessert?”
  2. I have found that I will tell myself that if I am not completely full after I finish eating a (usually nutritious) meal, it’s okay because I will have room for candy or sweets. I have never actually acknowledged this internal conversation before because it was almost instinctive and I would just go for the sweets.  This past week, I have consciously thought about whether I am still hungry and want more food and if so, then I eat more.
  3. Once I ignore the initial craving for sweets shortly after a meal, it usually passes and I move on with the day or evening.
  4. I rarely get on-going cravings for sweets throughout the day at random times.
  5. I do not crave sweets when I am stressed or tired.
  6. When I feel like I really need something sweet in the evenings, I have been having a cup of natural apple cider made in my Keurig. The warm drink tastes yummy and makes me feel calm and relaxed.
  7. I still do not see fruit or yogurt as a sweet treat. I eat those things for breakfast and regular snacks and my mind does not process them as treats, therefore I don’t attempt to fulfill sweet cravings with them.
  8. Even after a couple of glasses of wine at a party, it is possible for me to skip the M&M’s and cupcakes if I am committed to doing it. This was a tough one, but I was proud of myself for sticking to my challenge.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all about moderation and I do not plan to deny myself sweet treats forever, but I needed to take a step back and assess the situation. I can’t say that I am completely unhappy with my weight right now, but I definitely could lose 5 – 10 pounds to get down to a more reasonable “racing weight” (and of course bikini-ready!).

For the most part, I eat pretty healthy and obviously put a great deal of effort into running and working out. As a result, I have known for a long time that I could probably lose weight pretty easily if I cut out the extreme amount of candy and sweets in my diet. I never really thought I could make the commitment to do it, but I am now learning that it really isn’t all that hard!

I did weigh myself last Wednesday, so I will probably try to find a scale tomorrow (I don’t keep one at home) and see if I see any results. But honestly, those definitely aren’t the results that matter! I am happy with what I have learned and what I accomplished (trust me, a WHOLE week is a big deal for me)  and ready to tackle another week…

This entry was posted in Food, friends, Goals, life. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sweet Free Week2: What I learned

1. I think it’s great that you’re doing this. I need to but honestly, I’m afraid to try because I am so terrible at denying myself things, that I typically fail. So…. yeah – maybe I’ll use you as inspiration

Hi Wendi! Honestly, I would have said the exact SAME thing until I decided that I would consider it a short-term challenge instead of denying myself. It is weird how just changing the way I worded it to myself made a difference. Good luck!

You’re learning such great lessons! Your house growing up sounds a lot like mine. My mom loves to bake!! I do too, but I’m trying to limit it and use it for healthier things. So interesting that you don’t crave sweets when stressed or tired, that is a definite trigger time for me. 2 weeks is awesome, well done!

I need to take a hint from you and try baking some healthier treats that I like. But then I still have to figure out how not to eat them all in one sitting :)

Stressed or tired is a trigger for me, so you are lucky you don’t have that trigger to deal with. I didn’t have bad cravings last week, but this week has been harder. I hear it takes seven to ten days for your system to adapt and stop craving. If that’s the case, I should be good in just three more days.

I’ve also learned that my workplace is a terrible trap for me. There’s always *something * here. Today someone made apple turnovers just because it’s “Leap Day.” It’s been really hard for me to pass up things like that, plus all the usual candy dishes etc. Home is easier because we don’t buy that stuff.

I haven’t heard that about 7-10 days. Good to know. Since I made it 7 days, then had some sweets before I started week 2, I guess I kind of had to start over?! I forgot to mention that in the post! I definitely have not adapted yet because last night was probably the worst cravings I have had yet! It was my birthday and I wanted to “treat” myself, but I also was committed to make it the whole week.
      We have a TON of this stuff at home (hence why I started this) because our parents seem to think that candy makes great gifts in packages!! And my husband loves his junk food. You are lucky yours doesn’t!

4. Your observations are interesting. I agree, I sometimes get a craving right when I finish a meal (usually only lunch though, which strikes me as odd) and it will pass if I don’t have anything. Sometime I like to pack a Hershey’s kiss, or something small like that, and I notice that it will be enough. And I think I have to try that Apple Cider you mentioned – yum! Great work, keep it up!

I think that is a great suggestion for when I start back to more “normal” eating and bring sweets back in. I should bring just one or two pieces, then I won’t buy and eat a whole pack! Any suggestions for night time when it is ALL there?!

5. I, too, gave up sweets for Lent. I agree, I needed a reset and since sugar is something I really enjoy, giving it up felt like a sacrifice. I also know that I’m not honoring my body when I pump it full of sugar- it makes me cranky and irritable. Good for you on your observations so far- and good luck on your “reset”!!

Thanks Holly! I wish I would have known that so I could have included you too :) I like your reasoning behind giving it up. Makes it more meaningful and maybe easier to remember why you are doing it?
      P.S. Loved your profile on Mileposts! Cute pics!